11.17.2008

Feeling Her Oats

We've entered the land of tantrums. There was no warning or gradual build up; they just started out of the blue one day, and we now average about three per day. They don't happen every time she's told "no," and in fact, they seem to be most prevalent when she's tired or hungry--pretty normal toddler behavior (pretty normal adult behavior, too, I think). Here's the thing about tantrums: I was prepared to be patient but firm in sticking to the limits and following through with consequences. I was prepared to occasionally feel overwhelmed and at the end of my rope. I was NOT prepared to find them so hilarious that I nearly bruise my lips pursing them so tightly to keep from laughing out loud (I'm pretty sure that laughing at a tantrum is not a recommended way to establish credibility and authority as a parent). I can't help it. What's so hysterical to me is that, because of her still-developing gross motor skills, they sort of happen in slow motion. Madelyn decides to tantrum; they don't just happen to her in a fit of rage. She hears "no" at which point she dramatically stops what she is doing and bends over to put her hands on the floor. Once her hands are on the floor she gets on her knees and then stretches out until her tummy is flat on the ground and her arms and legs are stretched out as far as they will go. She then begins scooting backward, but occasionally her foot will get caught up on the floor or she'll run into a wall and she'll have to readjust or turn around to get back on track. Sometimes she grunts, but most of the time it is simply a silent, if not emphatic, protest. After I regain at least a workable amount of my composure, I plainly ask her if she's done at which point she typically stares at me for a moment, then stands up and sprightly walks away to begin a new activity. Man, she showed me!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish our tantrums were so quiet! LOL. We just have loud crying and yelling....take these while you can. They may get worse!
You are a good mom Kim!
Love
lynne