3.31.2009

Spring: My New Fall


I was blessed to have been raised in a home that knew and loved Jesus. We went to church every Sunday and prayed every day, and Christian values were modeled for me in a way that didn't make it difficult at all for me to believe in God and live a life of faith. The thing about accepting Christ at the age of five, however, is that you sort of take the miracle of creation and grace and forgiveness for granted. I've never known anything else, so even though I knowingly and actively choose to believe every day, it's not often that I feel wowed or humbled by the power and presence of God.

This spring, however, has been a total spiritual rebirth for me. Historically, autumn has been my favorite season, but I honestly think that from now on, spring will hold that title. I've wanted to start a garden for a couple of years now, but this year, I actually did it. Kurt built me a beautiful raised bed in which to grow my veggies (which we will be referring to as "the ark" from now on, given it's size), and I started several of the veggies indoors from seed a few weeks ago...and they're growing. They were these hard little specs that I just pushed into some soil and now there are green shoots coming out of (almost) all of them. And the fact that there will be vegetables and fruits growing off of them within a few months that we will then consume is just astounding to me. This is not biological happenstance. This process of germination and cell division, for me, points directly to a Creator. I am watching them grow with almost as much eagerness and wonder as I followed Madelyn's inutero development, only I get to actually see it and it's much more immediate (and has a lot less nausea). Just amazing...

5 comments:

Beth said...

This is EXACTLY why I'm a closet-Spring lover!!!! I just can't get enough of the renewing and rebirth of this time of year, and am CONSTANTLY blown away by what life springs forth from dead, brown, sticks and earth. Crazy. And...I'm planning my garden right now too!!! I think it will be tomatoes, pole beans, squash/punkins, and herbs...maybe a cantelope or two!

Kimberlee said...

mmm, i have something to send you, beth :) look for it in the mail next week. it'll be my long distance contribution to our mutual love of all things green and growing...

catherine said...

Thanks for giving me peace today, Kim. What a beautiful blog. :)

Lynne said...

thanks for that great reminder today! I needed it.

Sarah said...

Being so restricted by Chicago snow with little people in tow has totally converted me from an Autumn to Spring lover. I'll be trying my hand at larger-scale gardening with you this year!