7.11.2009

World's Longest Post

Ok, so it's been a long time since I've posted, but it's because we have been busy busy busy around here! All with super fun things, so here is a whirlwind photo tour of July 2009 thus far:

My dad, brother, and husband all rode their motorcycles (or "mm mmm's" as Madelyn calls them) down to Laguna Seca, CA for the annual MotoGP race over the 4th weekend. They look pretty tough, don't they? :) They all had a GREAT time, and most importantly, they were safe the whole way down and back up. Lord willing, I think they plan to do it every year. Kurt brought this little t-shirt back for Madelyn. She adopted the proper "motorcycle mama" stance right away.

Since the guys were going to be gone, us gals decided to plan a little trip of our own to Cannon Beach, OR where our family has been vacationing for decades (since my mom was a little girl). Madelyn has been to the beach before, but not as a bi-ped. She was THRILLED by the ocean and the sand, and we heard a steady mantra of "Maddie, Mommy, Nana play sand" all weekend long. Poor thing. We did play in the sand, but she also learned that at the Oregon coast, the weather is a moody temptress who taunts you with sunny forcasts and springs clouds and chilly mist on you at the last moment. Good thing the coast is gorgeous no matter what :) The sun did stick around long enough for us to attend the little Cannon Beach 4th of July parade. It so reminded us of the town parades we used to attend (and march in) growing up in Naperville, IL. One morning, we hopped over to Seaside to ride the surreys with Madelyn. She was hesitent at first, but within minutes, she was beaming and screaming "yes!" when we'd ask her if she was having fun! And it was quite a workout! Historically, we've ridden the 6-8 seaters with my whole family, so riding around with just my mom and me (and a head wind seemingly both directions...) was hard work! Such a fabulous, relaxing trip, and it was so cool to introduce my child to a place that holds such intense, wonderful childhood memories for both my mom and me.

My garden is awesome. Totally out of control, and I'll do things quite differently next year, but still awesome! Here is my second harvest:

Finally, last night, we went to a Coldplay concert up at the Clark Co. Amphitheater in WA. I've been to some pretty cool concerts in my life, but this show was arguably the best I've seen. Chris Martin, the lead singer, was so polite and gracious and funny--not common for a major rock star! They are incredibly talented musicians who really get how to please a crowd. At two separate occasions during the show, they left the stage and moved into the crowd to play on two mini stages--the last being way out on the lawn where we were sitting! Kelsie, Kris, and I got as close as we could to them--about 40 feet away. So awesome. When they played "Yellow" these gigantic yellow balloons came floating out into the crowd, and when they popped, confetti went everywhere. They played "Fix You," my absolute favorite (and the blueish photo below), and let the audience sing the last chorus, which is always great. They even did a little MJ tribute and sang an acoustic, mandolin version of "Billie Jean." Just a fantastic show, and we're so thankful to both of our parents for providing us with the opportunity!! (My parents treated to the tickets, and Kurt's parents watched Madelyn overnight so our 1:30 a.m. bedtime wouldn't kill us the next day...)




4 comments:

Mandi said...

wow! just wow! you have been having a blast! first off, i LOVE the photos of the gals on the beach! just beautiful. second, i am INSANELY jealous that you got to see coldplay in concert! they played in cincinnati while we were still living there, but, of course, we were out of town that weekend! ugh! i LOVE chris martin. he is an amazing musician and performer. i LOVE how much he dances! so fun. thanks for taking the time to post all this. trust me, i know how difficult it can be with a 2-year old to get this type of stuff done so kudos to you!

Beth said...

SO. AWESOME. We miss you guys so much! And, amazing garden harvest - the potatoes are BEAUTIFUL! I think we might have to come over soon for dinner sometime. :) LOVE YOU ALL!

Nick said...

Such awesome stuff, you guys! We miss you something fierce.

Took said...

Oh, I love Cannon Beach. It was a trip out there that convinced me to move out here. Those men sure look macho in their riding gear!