9.25.2009

Carolyn Maxine Walker Johnson

My gramma went home to be with Jesus this evening around 5:45 p.m. Her death was not sudden or unexpected. She has been living a sort of half-life for the past year and a half, and to be totally honest, I was relieved when I heard the news. My gramma was a feisty, independent, on-the-move lady who always had somewhere to be and someone to visit. Being confined primarily to her bed these last few months at the mercy of everyone else's schedule took her spirit away a lot sooner than her body was taken away. No way to spend one's last days, and yet as some wise person once said, it is a gift to experience our bodies failing us so we can genuinely embrace death as a blessing and crave it. I know my gramma craved death. She has missed my gramps since he died two and a half years ago much more than she anticipated, I think. And she has mourned the loss of her "able" life. I smile to think of her spirit reunited right now with her husband, her parents, her five older siblings, and dozens of her lifetime friends. And she's in the presence of Jesus. Not too bad for a September evening...

My gramma would quickly silence me with a "ppffttt" and a wave of her hand if I tried to wax poetic about how fantastic she was; she was one of the least boastful and self-centered people I've known. Fortunately for me, the reality of who she was and the kind of grandma she chose to be poses no need for over-exaggeration: every time I saw her, from my earliest memories until the last time I saw her with my husband and daughter 12 days ago, she made me feel like her world was richer, more beautiful, and more blessed because I was in it. Every time. What a priceless gift for a grand-daughter to receive from her grandma. That kind of love is permanently woven into the fabric of children's hearts and has a quietly profound impact on the way they view the world and, perhaps more importantly, themselves. Gramma (and Gramps) loved her grandchildren deliberately, generously, individually, joyfully. For me, my grandparents' love has always provided a beautifully human and tactile metaphor for how much our Heavenly Father loves us...

I miss you, Gramma. I've been missing you for months now, and my heart insists upon being sad even though I know you wouldn't want that. I am thrilled that you are Home, and I am genuinely comforted knowing that I will see you again someday. I love you...and I'll have the 49'ers at the Pancake House and a trip to Nordy's in honor of you this week :)

11 comments:

Diane said...

Kim ...
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am sorry for your loss and yet I share your JOY of knowing Grandma J is smiling bigger than life, at the feet of our Lord Jesus. She is with her beloved husband, Ed and so many others who have gone before her. What more could we wish for someone we love?! Bless you and much, much love to you ... Diane

Mandi said...

Kim, this is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. You definitely have a gift with the written word. I recently lost my grandmother too under similar circumstances, in that her spirit died way before she physically did. I really appreciated the quote about craving death. I have never heard that before, but it is so perfect and true. I am sorry for your loss and the loss for your entire family. Praise God that Maddie got to meet her and experience her even for a little bit. Now she has to live on in your memory for Maddie and it seems that you will have no trouble passing that on! Much love and peace to you.

catherine said...

Kim, God bless. You should be a writer! Your comments were so beautiful. She was a wonderful grandmother and great-grandmother! May you find peace at this time of sadness.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this, Kim - my Grammie and Pop are in a similar situation, living a half-life, and it makes me feel better to read this. I always liked your Grandma - and am so excited for her to be home now!

Alli Hintz said...

So sorry for your loss, Kim. I echo the comments made by some of the others...you should be a writer! What beautiful thoughts you've written about your grandma.

Love to you! Hope to see you soon.
Alli

Took said...

What a moving post. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What a well lived life she had and I can only imagine the glorious welcome home she is receiving from Jesus and her true love.

Love,
took

Kelly said...

Kim
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I have such fond memories of when I stayed with her for your wedding. I still think of her every time I see blackberries or raspberries in the store....because she had the BIGGEST berries I've ever seen for us every morning for breakfast.

We will be praying for your family during this time of sadness :(

Lynne said...

Kim, I have the same wonderful memories that Kelly talked about of your grandma.....biggest berries I've ever seen! She was a very sweet lady.
What great stories you will have to share with Maddie of her legacy. Praying for comfort for you during this time

Kari said...

What a wonderful post, Kim! You are an incredible writer...such a heartfelt expression of your love for Grandma J. I'm so sorry for your loss, and thankful that you have so many wonderful memories!
XOXO I Love you...you and your family are in my prayers... Kari

Cravinchoc said...

What a fitting tribute to a wonderful lady. Glad she gets to be with Jesus. I'm sure she's hugging all the babies who are up there too. Love ya Kim, - Merri

Adam and Jen said...

What an amazing "note" to your grandmother. It brought tears to my eyes, she leaves a legacy behind that every mother desires for her family and children. Thanks for sharing.