6.26.2007

Sometimes you just HAVE TO laugh...

So, all pride aside, I signed up for unemployment benefits as I'm still in search of a job. To do so, I went through 8 pages and 50+ questions. The State was very prompt; it was only a few days after I completed the online application that I heard back from them.

I received the call yesterday around noon. Kim just happend to be home during lunch, otherwise I don't think she would have believed me. The claims agent said there was a "Red Flag" in my application that kept my claims from going through.

"Did you work as a professional athlete during the last 18 months?" he asked.

"What? No." My response was of a little confusion.

"Ok, that's what I thought," he continued. "You'd apparently checked this question as 'Yes' when filling out your application."

HA!! I laughed so hard when I got off the phone. I said I was a professional athlete! In what? Bacci Ball? Cribbage? Darts? What a riot!

I even went back to the application and looked for my mistake. Sure enough, I marked down a bold 'Yes'. It was in that section that has all the questions you're supposed to answer 'No' to. Questions like:
  • Have you earned at least half your income from working in a fruit orchard?
  • Are you currently employed? (yeah, on an unemployment application)
  • In the last 18 months, have you traveled out of the country and had contact monkeys? (maybe this one's for giving blood... but you get the idea)
Well, I hope you enjoyed this little anecdote. It brought a little reminder to us: Sometimes, you just HAVE TO laugh. It's good for the soul and it shows off God's sense of humor.

Thanks for the continued prayer.

~Kurt

4 comments:

Beth said...

Kurt, I can't believe you haven't told Kim yet about your underground street lugeing career. It's nothing to be ashamed of, buddy! Be proud! Hold your head up high!

Maybe one day you'll be able to admit your nickname to the world... Asphalt Rocket!

Anonymous said...

love it...you gave me a laugh!
Lynne

Jan said...

I'm glad to read that you haven't lost your sense of humor. For a split second you must have been in a fantasy world.

Keep your chin up!

Mama B.

Took said...

Wow, I for sure thought being a jockey at the Kentucky Derby would have counted...